Share This


Lamego Monuments

Castle of Lamego and Cistern

On the antiquity of the castle of Lamego, almost all authors consulted reported that the castle is the work of Moors "and preceding the Foundation of nationality. The primitive, only subsist the donjon (16th century. XII), part of the old wall and the cistern (séc. XIII).

The keep, with about twenty meters in height, is of quadrangular and has in its crevices, some lighting faces changed in the 16th century to be transformed into Windows, by order of the last count of Marialva, d. Francisco Coutinho, perhaps in order to give the Tower a housing function. Plaza de armas has shaped irregular Hexagon whose wall, with about ninety meters of perimeter, is endowed with adarve, accessible by the north side by a flight of stairs.

The cistern, situated Extra Muros of Plaza de armas, is of rectangular Ashlar and vaulted with ribbed warhead sustained by wide braces supported on pillars. With about twenty feet long and ten wide, is considered "one of the best examples of tanks of Portuguese castles" (Direcção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais cit. Laranjo, 1994, p.52).

Between 1939 and 1940, when it celebrated the centenary of the Foundation and restoration of nationality, the Castle underwent restoration from the Bell and the bells that existed at the top of the tower to be removed to add the battlements.Access to the old village is done through two open porches on the wall. Who enters the north side passes through the arch called "Door of the Figs or the Fireworks", also called "Porta da Vila or Aguião", while the door on the opposite side is called "Door of the Sun". With the latter we find an interesting House coat that belonged to the Cistercian order and later came to be the wheel house.

On the north side there is the Casa da Torre, who is serving as the headquarters of the National Body of Listeners. This building ran the City Council until 1834, when he moved to the Home of the relationship (now Bishop's Palace).      
                           
The middle of the street we can see the castle chapel of the Senhora do Socorro, in whose outer wall is an interesting Panel of tiles with the inscription "n. s. 1671 choir". Near this there was another Chapel to invoke s. Salvador, where it would have been the primitive Cathedral. The castle is classified a national monument by Decree of June 16, 1910.

Rating: MN-National Monument.
Location: elevated on the highest part of the city, 543 m altitude






Cathedral

Tower
Romanesque building, until the time of bells (21st century. XII-XIII), possessing the same period interesting slots, with a particular focus on the notable chink that opens next spring (see art treasures). The Summit is already work. XVI, the initiative of Bishop d. Manuel of Noronha that ali left their arms stone engraved. The Tower served as a prison for a long time, until the Bishop d. Frei Feliciano de Nossa Senhora decided to remove the prison, "murky, that looked more like grave of the dead" (Anderson, 1877).

Frontaria
On the front facade, may wonder if three notable walk-through multiple archivolts, magnificently carved in granite, work the end of flamboyant, noting the two sides have influence of the Renaissance period (see art treasures). Sturdy and padded doors, are valuable examples of joinery.

Interior
The main body is divided into three naves, corresponding each to your gateway, avultando in the vaults the colorful paintings of Nicolau Nasoni, executed between 1737 and 1738, depicting passages from the old testament (see Tesouros Artísticos).
The chancel is ample and grandiose where one can see, over the high altar, a good fabric depicting our Lady of the assumption. The chapel of SS. mo Sacramento has three magnificent altarpieces of gilt by João Correia Lopes, built circa 1753. Each of these altars have a painting on canvas (21st century. XVIII). Still in this Chapel, deserves special attention the rich silver carved front of manufacture portuense. XVIII. the amidship North retains a beautiful pulpit artistic execution, work of João Correia Monteiro (1762).

Coro - Alto
Can there admire a magnificent sculpture in gessoed wood of the Lord Jesus Crucified (21st century. XVIII) and yet, in this room, an image of Nossa Senhora da Conceição-Portuguese sculpture in 17th-century gessoed wood. Leaning against the railing of the choir, under a canopy of showy gilt, supported by four columns, is the Christ Crucified, in gessoed wood (sé. XVIII) in the next room, superimposed on ship of the epistle, there is a beautiful statue of our Lady of victory, national work on gessoed wood (21st century. XVI).

Claustro
Completed in 1557, features four groups of arches of the period of transition from the Gothic to the Renaissance. In this space, next to arches rising side, there are two chapels built by Bishop d. Manuel de Noronha, in the 16th century, an invocation of s. Nicholas and another to San Antonio. These chapels with altars of good hoist being the side walls of the chapel of s. Nicolau magnificent coated ceramic panels (21st century. XVIII) regarding s. Nicolau. Both have admirable wrought-iron gates, the best Portuguese metalwork.

Classificação: MN - National Monument
Localization: historic center of  Lamego






Santuário de Nossa Senhora dos Remédios

In the place where it was erected the chapel-mor of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios existed a small chapel, built by Bishop d. Durango, in 1361, dedicated to Saint Stephen. In 1568, the Bishop of Lamego d. Manuel de Noronha authorised the demolition of the old Hermitage and, in the place where today lies the courtyard of the Kings sent lift another under invocation of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios. This chapel was also demolished to erect the current Sanctuary, whose first stone was laid in 1750, at the initiative of Canon José Pinto Teixeira. The building of the shrine is a Baroque construction all crafted in granite, dazzling elegance of style, imposed by the creativity of the author of the project who is believed to have been Nicolau Nasoni.

The hoist is 18th century. The altarpiece of the main Chapel attracts by its framework, constituting an original framework within the Portuguese entalhamentos, in the center of which is the image of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios. Note, also, the side altars of St. Joachim and St. Anne. Still, inside the temple, can admire beautiful tile panels, as well as interesting stained-glass Windows that enrich the walls of the main body and the chancel.

The frontispiece of the sanctuary is the most admirable of the entire building, mesmerizing all eggs to admire the glow and creative genius there rank. All adornments, so elegantly refined in granite, are admirable. In the churchyard on the South side, there is a harmonious whole source carved in granite from the region, with drawing of Nicolau Nasoni, dated 1738. (see Fountains). Raised on the skid plate, where they finish the last steps of the staircase, in the churchyard, in front of the temple, one can see the monolithic cross, fine ornaments. The author of the book "history of the cult of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios in Lamego", Canon José Marrana – essential and indispensable work query to who best meet the sanctuary, Staircase and Parque dos Remédios – considers this piece "the wonderful Crown of the entire work of the staircase, which imposes itself and dominates by the delicacy of its lines and its sculptural moth".

The two towers – with a project by architect Ken Cid – began much later. The South side began to be built in 1880, the Tower on the north side to complete only in 1905. The staircase was started in 1777 but the works were only finished in the 20th century. The grander staircase frame is undoubtedly the so-called "Court of the Kings" – architectural admirable work, formed by the source of the Giants, in the Centre of which rises a splendid Obelisk, about 15 feet high. This courtyard is surrounded by various statues that represent the 18 last names from the House of David. Also notable are the two side porches providing access to this large terrace. (see art treasures.

To mention, too, the courtyard of our Lady of Lourdes or Jesus Maria José, where there is a chapel that its founder dedicated to the Holy family. Later, the brotherhood had put there the image of our Lady of Lourdes. On the door of the beautiful chapel is the coat of arms of Bishop d. Manuel Pereira de Vasconcelos, your Builder. In front of this Chapel is the source of the Mermaid, whose name comes from the fact that you have to decorate her a carving of a Merman riding a dolphin – figure that for the common visitors resembles a mermaid. It should also be mentioned, in the stairwell, the monumental granite Pelican source denominated. Particularly interesting in this source is the Pelican sculpture (ver Fontanários).

The afforestation of the Park, the cave, as well as the Lake and bridge, were commissioned by the Brotherhood to Horticultural Company of Porto in 1898. The cave of the Fund was built in 1910 by an artist of Arneirós. The Park, crossed by numerous footpaths and with various corners with tables for snacking, has hundreds of species of trees, such as yews, cypresses, olaias, Acacias, Linden trees, poplars, beeches, Oaks, eucalyptus trees, strawberry trees, ELMS, chestnuts and so many others. Rating: IIP-Property of public interest

 









Igreja de Santa Maria Almacave

Built around an Arab necropolis (macab – deriving hence the name Almacave), this religious temple is a Romanesque building (19th century.XII), having been profoundly changed, especially in the 19th century. XVII, as witness the tile panels with geometric motifs and vegetalistas, the pulpit and the gilt.

Of the primitive Romanesque porch is noteworthy the arc appointed and four archivolts, edged with the most extensive by a chequered band. In the 19th century. XVIII, the altars were enriched with tiles and gilded carvings. Highlight yet, inside-to ship only-without transept and chancel, the tile walls and the choir; the pulpit built in 1600 and the sculptures of St. Joseph and St. Anthony in 18th-century gessoed wood.

The story goes that will have been in the Church of Santa Maria de Almacave held the first cuts of the Kingdom of Portugal in 1143. Even today, the evocation of this House, which have been acclaimed and invested the first King of Portugal Afonso Henriques, is one of the symbols of the past history of Lamego.

Classificação: MN - Monumento Nacional
Localization: confronta com a Rua de Almacave, Rua das Cortes, junto ao Paço do episcopal


Templo de S. Pedro de Balsemão

The Temple of s. Pedro de Balsemão is the oldest of all the monuments of Lamego and, according to some historians, the second of the Iberian Peninsula. Its origin dates back to the 18th century Visigothic-suévico. VII, to the time of Sisebut (Visigothic king who came to coin currency in Lamego). In the 19th century. XVII, the chapel was rebuilt, this time being the excellent hoist that is inside.

Of rare historical and archaeological value, the temple, with three naves, has two parts. XIV worthy of mention: a sculpture of Senhora do Ó carved in stone from ançã (view artistic treasures) and the tomb of the Bishop of Porto Afonso Pires, carved in granite.

Inside the Tower, still, two rows of three arches on each side based on cylindrical columns. The chapel of São Pedro de Balsemão retains much of its original moth and the grandeur of its interior preserves the mysterious atmosphere of distant times. Integrates the "Medieval Routes in the Douro Valley", in conjunction with other copies of the rich religious heritage built in the municipality of Lamego, and is classified as a national monument.

Classificação: MN - Monumento Nacional.
Localization: a 3 km de Lamego, junto ao Rio Balsemão


Igreja e Convento de Santa Cruz

The Visigoth King Sisebut, during his reign between the year 612 and 621, cunha here currency, which attests to the commercial, cultural and historical importance of Lamego. The following are alternative times of peace and war. Now, Christian Arab, changed hands several times until Fernando Magno of León conquered permanently in November 29, 1057. Lost however the seat of diocese, this being restored in 1071.

In 1128, at alvor of nationality, the aio from our first King, d. Egas Moniz, has the tenant-in-Chief of Lamego and residence in Britiande, seigneur de Riba-Douro, between the P and the Távora, reaching even the lands of Coa. D. Sancho I granted him letters of couto in 1191. Lamego was growing around two poles: Cathedral and Castle. In 1290, King Denis gave fair letter to town (Viterbo, 1962), arriving coming of Castile and Granada merchants, selling spices and Oriental fabrics.

Those who find themselves on the opposite side refer to the life of Saint Anthony of Lisbon and factory, author unknown; a 17th century altarpiece of the chapel-mor; two arcas for coffin in granite, overlapping of laying statues, which are on the tops of the transept, belonging to the southern side to d. João de Brito Vasconcelos, Bishop of Angra, and the north side the d. Manuel Pinto da Fonseca, bailiff of Acre.

Classificação: IIP - Imóvel de Interesse Público
Localization: junto ao quartel e não longe do cemitério de Santa Cruz


Igreja do Mosteiro das Chagas

The monastery das Chagas, destined to Clare nuns, was founded in 1588 by the Bishop of Lamego, d. António Teles de Menezes, whose gravestone can be seen in the chancel. Some chapels, richly carved polychrome, were transferred to the Museu de Lamego, where can be admired.

What remains of the former convent of Chagas, remains the current church in whose facade stands out the Renaissance portico, flanked by two beautiful Corinthian columns. At the top of the arch stands the coat of arms of Bishop founder.

Inside, enjoy the central vault painting; beautiful 17TH century tiles; talha of altars worthy of interest; admirable altarpiece of s. João Baptista, the Portuguese Baroque; notable Golden 17th century altarpiece, in the chapel of St. John the Evangelist. (see art treasures)

Classificação: IIP - Imóvel de Interesse Público
Localization: Perto do Liceu e do Jardim da República.


Igreja do Convento de Santo António de Ferreirim

The monastery of Santo António de Ferreirim was erected in the late middle ages on the initiative of the last counts of Marialva, whose Tomb lies in the interior of the Church. Its current appearance is due to an intervention undertaken in the first half of the 16th century. The convent was handed over to the Franciscan order in 1525 and, two years later, he entered the first monks. The Church was begun in 1532 with Manueline-Renaissance stylistic register with changes undertaken in the eighteenth century. To give protection to the primitive portal, the galilé century's work.

The Church, a single nave, preserves in its interior part of altar set from the early 16th century, a work commissioned by Cardinal-infante Afonso, son of Manuel and performed by Christopher de Figueiredo, Garcia Fernandes and Gregório Lopes, known as "Masters of Ferreirim". Today completely restored and integrated at the conventual, preserves a medieval military Tower, symbol of the primitive settlement in the locality after the definition of Portugal as an independent Kingdom

Classificação: IIP – Imóvel de Interesse Público
Localization: a 8 quilómetros do centro da cidade de Lamego seguindo pela E.N. 226 (ao Km 144,8, em direcção a Ferreirim)


Igreja da Graça

The current church is what remains of the old convent of Gracianos, sent up in 1647 by Francisco de Almeida Cabral, desembargador do Paço. The old convent was demolished in the late 19TH century, by virtue of a decree of 21.02.1844, to make way for the current building of the Town Hall.

The door of the Church still existed, in the first quarter of 20th century.XX, a beautiful Renaissance portico that disappeared during the alignment works the street Marquis of Pombal (formerly Oak Street).

In its interior, highlight to the chapel of our Lady of sorrows and the high altar which presents an interesting carved painted white. At the top of the Arch of the chapel-mor is the coat of arms of the founder of the former convent of Gracianos.

Location: Rua Marquês de Pombal (near the Town Hall)


Igreja do Desterro

Founded in 1640 by the bailiff of Leça, d. Frei Luis Alvares de Távora, where there was a chapel and worshipped Nossa Senhora do Desterro. On the façade stands out the framework of the entrance door, consisting of two Corinthian columns.

Above is the coat of arms of the founder. Inside, one can admire the true gem of this church: the rich and surprising gilded 18th century. XVIII, work of carvers and lamecenses the Tabernacle from the altar-mor, magnificently carved in wood.

(see art treasures) Belong to the Church five screens of national Italian influence which currently are in the Museum. Rating: IIP-Public Property Location: Rua Cardoso Avelino.


Igreja de S. Francisco

The existing Church is what remains of the convent which was erected in 1599. Suffered alterations in the 20th century. XVII and later a military hospital would occupy part of the temple. After a fire on the rue de Almacave, suffered, in 1916, major changes.

Inside the Church to highlight an image of our Lady (21st century. XVI), carved in wood, deserving special mention the painting of the main altar, a magnificent 14th-century painting. XVII, depicting the death of St. Francis.

In the sacristy is worthy to admire the showy paramenteiro with the paintings depicting the life of St. Francis, as well as painting the ceiling. In the chapel of the Senhora das Dores we can admire a beautiful iron gate dated 1803, as well as tile panels depicting the passion of Christ.

Location: bottom of the Rua de Almacave


Capela de Nossa Senhora dos Meninos do Bairro da Ponte

The chapel was built by the Bishop of Lamego d. Manuel de Noronha between 1551 and 1569. Was this Bishop who brought da Sé to this Chapel the image of the Lady of the boys who was once venerated with the title of Senhora do Amparo and also as Lady of the Bather. The image of our Lady of the boys is a great job. XVI and presents the Virgin sitting on a chair with the baby in the lap.

Essential, in addition to the image of the Virgin, the chapel has in its interior tiles. XVII-XVIII, which they call the attention for its polychrome; numerous panels to decorate the ceilings, with special mention for the twenty-five paintings on the ceiling of the chancel, with motifs depicting the life of our Lady; a valuable fenceline and the pulpit, made of black wood or wood jacarandé.

As checks in all the works sent build by d. Manuel de Noronha, also on the facade of the chapel you can observe your coat identified by a tower with two wolves bursts.

Rating: IIP-Public Property location: Bairro da Ponte, on the left bank of the river Balsemão


Capela do Espírito Santo

Rebuilt by Bishop d. Manuel de Noronha in the 21st century. XVI. the coat of this Bishop is on the exterior of the Chapel, cunhal next spring. Of small dimensions, has in its interior a remarkable sculpture of the Holy Spirit.

XVIII author unknown, which arouses interest in its uniqueness. (see art treasures) In addition to the main altar, where the sculpture of the Holy Spirit, there are two altars, deserving special mention the beautiful Baroque altar in the side of the Gospel. Note, also, the gilded pulpit and tiling. XVII lining the walls.

Location: downtown, next to the source with the same name.


Capela de Nossa Senhora da Esperança

Founded in 1586 by Jesuit father Francisco Gonçalves. Alpendrado outdoor Chapel features magnificent Baroque carving executed by artists lamecenses between the end of the 19th century. 17th and beginning of the 20th century. XVIII. on the high altar there is an archaic and unusual statue of our Lady of hope, valuable polychrome sculpture in Ançâ stone, carved between the 15th and 16th centuries.

(see art treasures) Has, also, a precious sculpture in gessoed wood of the Green Cane or "Ecce Homo" (20th century. XVII). the walls are covered with beautiful glazed tiles. XVII. rating: IIP-Property in the public interest.

Location: in the far north of the city, (Cerdeiral Street).